ST. IVIA, OR IVO*
WAS a Persian bishop, who preached the faith in
England about the same time with St. Austin, in the seventh century;
and having for some time prepared himself for his last passage, by
solitude, watching, prayer, and fasting, at Slepe, now St. lve’s,
in Huntingdonshire, he there died and was buried. His body was found
by a ploughman, in a pontifical habit and entire, in 1001, on the
24th of April. By the fame of miracles performed at his relics, many
resorted to the place, and a Benedictin priory was there built,
though the saint’s body was soon after translated to the great
abbey of Ramsey. Whitman, the third abbot at Ramsey, wrote a book of
the miracles wrought at his tomb, which was afterwards augmented by
Goscelin, a monk of Canterbury, about the year 1096. Pope Alexander
V. granted a license to build a church to his honor in Cornwall,
where his name was famous, and is given to a parliamentary borough.
See Dr. Brown Willis, in his History of Parliamentary Boroughs, t. 1,
p. 543; Camden, Harpsfield, (sæc. 9,) and William of
Malmesbury, 1. 4, de Pontific.; Bolland. 10 Jun. Hist. Littér.
de la Fr. t. 8, p. 667.