SS. SERGIUS AND BACCHUS, MM.
THESE two glorious martyrs are mentioned with
great distinction by Theodoret, John Mosch in the Spiritual Meadow,
Evagrius, St. Gregory of Tours, Bede, and other ancient
Martyrologists. They were illustrious officers in the army, and
suffered with great constancy cruel torments and a glorious death
under Maximian: the theatre of their triumph was Rasaphe in Syria, in
the diocese of Hierapolis. Their tomb at Rasaphe was famous for
miracles in the year 431,1 when Alexander, bishop of Hierapolis,
built there a stately church in their honor. Out of respect for their
relics, Justinian caused this town to be fortified, called it
Sergiopolis, and made it the metropolis of the province. He also
built many churches in their honor in several provinces of the East.
They are the titular saints of a church in Rome, which has been
famous at least ever since the seventh century, as appears from
Anastasius; nevertheless, no authentic acts of their martyrdom have
reached us. Two other churches in Rome Lear their name: one called ad
montes belongs to the Russian college, and possesses a portion of
their relics brought from Syria in the crusades: as does the
cathedral of St. Vitus at Prague, by the gift of the emperor Charles
IV., in 1354. See Tillemont, t. 5, p. 491.