ST. MARTINA, V. M.
SHE was a noble Roman virgin, who glorified God,
suffering many torments and a cruel death for his faith, in the
capital city of the world, in the third century. There stood a chapel
consecrated to her memory in Rome, which was frequented with great
devotion in the time of St. Gregory the Great. Her relics were
discovered in a vault, in the ruins of her old church, and translated
with great pomp in the year 1634, under the pope Urban VIII., who
built a new church in her honor, and composed himself the hymns used
in her office in the Roman Breviary. The city of Rome ranks her among
its particular patrons. She is mentioned in the Martyrologies of Ado,
Usuard, &c. The history of the discovery of her relics was
published by Honoratus of Viterbo, an Oratorian. See Bollandus.