1. Please read the Chat Room Rules before chatting.
2. Our chat room 'CatholiChat' is the main room and is for socializing, faith sharing as well as religious discussion.
'The Upper Room' exists primarily for religious discussion and prayer.
3. Our text chat software is the latest available and features avatars,(small images to represent you) emoticons and sounds, to name a few.
4. Please be thoughtful and use the status menu to indicate whenever you are away from your pc and unavailable to chat so that others will know that you are not available to respond. Select either "Online" or "Away" to announce your availability status.
5. Please read the help pages. A link for connecting help and chat tips and hints is located on the chat log in page. Also there is an extensive help file explaining the many features and how to use them located within the chat program itself. Once you are in logged into the chat room, simply click on the question mark ? icon located on the lower left of the chat window. Please avoid asking others in the room "how do I....?" without trying to look up the answer on the help page beforehand. Our staff and the guests are more than willing to be helpful to answer any questions you may have after you first try to find the answers yourself on the help page.
6. For your own safety and security As with any chat room never give out your email address, phone number, or the name of the parish where you worship nor the city you live in or any other personal information to anyone.
We have seen in the news lately several stories about online predators. We here at E-Catholic 2000 have rarely experienced any problems with these types of persons. However, there are some simple rules to follow that can prevent you from being bothered by inappropriate behavior:
8. The rooms may be monitored both visible and invisible for your security and to help maintain a pleasant chat environment for everyone. Chat Monitors cannot see private whispers, however all conversations can be retrieved if there is a problem.
- Don't give out personal information about yourself, your family situation, your school, your telephone number, or your address.
- When in chat rooms remember that not everyone may be who they say they are. For example a person who says "she" is a 14-year-old girl from New York may really be a 42-year-old man from California.
- If someone harasses you in the chat room, says anything inappropriate, or does anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, contact the monitor on duty or email us if no monitor is present in the room.
9. Sincere and courteous, inquiry about the Catholic Church is invited by our Christian Brethren and people of all Faiths.
10. Our chat rooms exist primarily for members of the Catholic Church. Other members of the Mystical Body of Christ who are not members of the Roman Catholic Church and individuals who are not Christians but who are friendly to the Catholic Church are most welcome to chat in a Christ-like and respectful manner.
11. Our Staff Members are highly dedicated and conscientious individuals and are people of Faith. They bend over backwards trying to serve everyone and be as fair as possible while doing the best they can to enforce the rules for the benefit of the majority of our guests. They unselfishly spend countless hours of their lives devoted to this internet ministry. So please be kind, considerate and respectful to them.
12. Please do not counsel any one in chat. You can do more harm than good. Our job as Christians is to listen and pray for others needs. Please see rule #20 below.
13. While this chat service is created and maintained by faithful Roman Catholics and is Catholic oriented in nature, please be advised that anyone can say anything in any chat room. Please take what you read here with a "grain of salt" What is said in chat may or may not accurately reflect authentic Catholic Teaching and Practice. And that some personal views expressed by some of our guests in chat may not be fully in line with the Catholic Church. Always verify any questionable statements with a reliable Catholic source (a priest, official print media etc.)
The rules listed below are not intended to be burdensome on anyone. But are intended to: promote a pleasant and friendly chat environment, promote common courtesy, maintain a good level of security and safety for the guests, to show respect and consideration for one another, and lastly to maintain the respect and dignity that our Faith and its leaders deserve.
The following rules apply to all the chat rooms of our Catholic Chat Network including our affiliate chat network:
1. Chat Nicknames are not permitted. Please use your real name or a variation of it, such as Rick or Rich for Richard etc. along with your state or country two letter code Example: Rose NH for someone in the state of New Hamphire. Your co-operation is appreciated. You will be asked to change it if another form of login identity is attempted.
2. You must be at least 14 years old to use our chat rooms.
3. Any--> derogatory statements, statements against, or those which put any of the following in a bad light: Any member of the Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin Mary, any of the Saints, Angels, Pope Francis, any past pope, the papacy, the Catholic Church both Eastern and Western, any member(s) of the Clergy including Cardinals, Bishops, Priests, and Deacons, any member of a Religious Congregation will not be tolerated.
4. Street talk and vulgar language are not tolerated.
5. Baiting/flame bait/mind games used against any of the guests are not tolerated.
6. Threats of any type will not be tolerated and will be dealt with severely.
7. Verbal attacks/insults/harassment against any of the other guests or any staff member will not be tolerated.
8. Repeated messages in rapid succession (also called 'flooding') with the intent to disrupt the room or conversation is not permitted.
9. Faith Bashing is not tolerated.
10. Bigotry of any type will not be tolerated.
11. Proselytizing of any sort will not be tolerated.
12. Selling of goods or services, or soliciting money or donations in any way is prohibited. Also not permitted is posting a website url that sells goods, services or solicits money.
13. "Airing of grievances" in the room is not permitted. If you have had what you consider an unpleasant experience with another guest or a member of our Staff, refrain from discussing it in the room for everyone to see. Instead you are invited to email and discuss it with the the Chat Manager. Please understand that what you witnessed or consider unfair may not be the "Big Picture". Several things usually go on behind the scenes which you may not be aware of.
14. Posting of urls, commonly known as web site addresses in the chat rooms is permitted. However the person posting is responsible to make sure that the website(s) he/she is recommending is completely faithful to the Pope, Magisterium and Teachings and Doctrines of the Catholic Church. Postings for websites that are secular in nature must be tasteful and adhere to Christian values. At the discretion of the room host, the person posting may be asked to refrain from posting any further urls.
15. "English Only Rule" This chat network originates in the United States. While we celebrate and have the greatest respect for the many different nationalities and cultures of God's Children, the vast majority of our guests speak english. Therefore it is inconsiderate and rude to speak any other language in the room, even if it is brief. Guests are required to speak english only. If you wish to speak to another person in a different language, do so only in private messages. (whispers).
16. The Room Hosts (also called Moderators, Room Monitors, etc.) and the Management of e-Catholic2000.com reserve the right to create new rules at will, and without prior notice.
17. The decisions of the Room Hosts (Moderators) are Final.
18. Remember that you are a guest here and that you have no rights expressed or implied. And that your use of the chat rooms can be revoked at any time with or without any reason.
19. The atmosphere of all our chat rooms is the same that you would expect at any Church social function. Your conversation and demeanor are expected to reflect this atmosphere.
20. Counseling others is not permitted under any circumstance. You can potentially do more harm than good.
Please read the following statements carefully and select one:
I certify that I have read the chat room rules above which pertain to all the chat rooms of eCatholic2000.com, and I agree to be bound by them and I further state, that I am at least 14 years old.
I have read the chat room rules above which pertain to all the chat rooms of eCatholic2000.com and