metropolitan see of Syria, in the valley of the Orontes, whose
episcopal list dates from the first century (Gams,( 446, 451). It was
still a flourishing place in the time of the Crusades, and was known
to the Arabs as Fâmieh. Vast ruins of a very ornamental
charcter abound in the vicinity. For another Apameia (in Phrygia)
known as Apameia Cibotos (the Ark) see "Bulletin Critique"
(Paris, 1890), XI, 296-297. There was still another see of the same
name in Bithynia, whose episcopal list is known since the fourth
century (Gams,( 443).
VIGOUROUX, Dict. de la Bible (1891), s.v.; DE VOGUEE, La Syrie
centrale; Architecture civile et religieuse, (Paris, 1866-67);
BUTLER, Architecture etc., in Northern Central Syria (New York),