A titular see of
Palestine whose episcopal list (351-930 or 40) is given in Gams (p.
453). It was one of the five chief cities of the Philistines (Josue,
xiii, 3). Its location, on the sea-coast between Gaza and Jamnia
made it a stronghold, and as such it was held by the Arabs after
their conquest of it in the seventh century. The city was taken by
the crusaders, but was destroyed, in 1270, by Sultan Bihars, and its
port blocked up to prevent the place ever again falling into
Christian hands. Its extensive ruins still remain, and present a
scene of mournful desolution.